Re : SK Video Game

From: <C.Carter_at_ulst.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 00:05:44 GMT

 I haven't been on this list long, but when I saw this I thought prehaps now
was as good a time as any to stop lurking...

ARTHUR JOHN FREDA <ah518_at_leo.nmc.edu> wrote :

> Any Computer Programmers out there? If so, maybe we could all
>pitch in ideas for a non-official SK computer game. My parents really
>don't like me renting the machines and the SK game, but if it was on
>disks or CD-ROM or something, they would probably let me. One of my ideas
>for it is flying in the TurboKat and getting to switch between Razor and
>T-Bone.

 Yep! I write games for Acorn machines (which no-one's ever heard of!), and
I'm just starting to fiddle about with PC games. I haven't actually seen the
"official" game (what format is it on? If it's for the SNES, then I should at
least be able to play it at some point), but the idea of an unofficial one is
interesting... I dunno how whoever wrote the official one would react
though - after all, they *paid* for the license (I assume).

  I think it would be nice to do the game in 3D, looking a bit like
StarFighter 3000 (another Acorn game, being ported to the 3D0,PC,Playstation,
ect.) with a huge polygon city to fly around, along with some of the outside
areas, such as the canyons. There could be a series of missions based on
individual episodes, with the landscape altering to suit - The (damn can't
remember the name) episode with Rex Shard in it would be a great excuse to
put in an entirely crystal level with nice effects like in Donkey Kong
(glittering crystals with light shining through then and creating rainboms of
colour).

  The Cyclotron and the speedboat (does it have a name) could be incorperated
too, adding vareity to the game. You would start each mission in the
TurboKat, but could launch the Cyclotron or land back at the hanger to get
the boat. A 1st person walking-around-the-city view would also be nice,
allowing you to explore buildings and so on (although this could make the
game world unbelievably difficult to design :-( ).

 A couple of immediately obvious problems, though :

1) How do you control 2 characters at once? The best solution would probably
be to have the other character use some form of AI system, but it would have
to be damn good to get the right atmosphere.

2) The 3D engine would have to be very fast to cope with the sort of speeds
needed to keep the gameplay fluid enough.

Anyway, a very nice idea - If only we could persuade someone to give us a
free license... (I wonder - Does the company who have done this other game
have the console license only, or a license for computer versions, too?)

Well... That was a ridiculously long first message, but I hope at least some
of it makes sense!

Seeya!

| Ben Carter | Disclaimer : Anything which you find offensive,|
|\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| annoying or just plain wrong is a typo. |
| c.carter_at_ulst.ac.uk | So there. |