Re: Why Canceled?

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 96 16:11:36 EDT

>Well, it has been suggested that the cancellation by TBS was possibly for
>a few reasons: 1) Turner's original reason was that the show wasn't
>moving enough merchandise (probably due to the fact that there wasn't
>much merchandise to be moved) 2) Turner looked at the show and decided

This is a good time to toss this in:

In the June issue of The Toy Book (I seem to get all kinds of nifty
trade pubs as a result of getting into Toy Fair :) there's a very
lengthy article on how licensing works, and the required synergy
between property (ie the Kats) and the product (toys et al). It's
not Kat-specific, but it explains very well why, for instance,
Disney usually gets it right while TedCo almost never does. I have
three copies I picked up at Licensing 96, so if anyone is interested
send me a mailing address.

>it was too violent 3) Turner needed the money to promote other
>shows such as Jonny Quest (especially the new one) and his "baby" - Capt.
>Planet.

In (undeserved) fairness JQ is later in the pipeline than SK, and
TedCo is compensating for the botched marketing of SK by (almost
literally) pouring money into the promotion of JQ.

Ed