Re: Why Canceled?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 07:28:12 -0700

Matt wrote:

>Lest we forget the early JQ of the 60's! I'd say that had quite a bit more
>violence. People were injured/died/beat up.

I like Doc Konway's description of JQ from way back when (and I have
to paraphrase, my memory isn't _that_ good):

"Ah yes, Jonny Quest. Lots of HOV's (Horrible-Oriental-Villains) mowed
  down with machine-guns every week..." (or something very similar)

>One point about anime vs. North Amer. toons --
>You must keep in mind that anime (in Japan) is generally targeted towards
>the adult audience, while we are stuck with stuff usually aimed at the
>kiddies. Turner had it right with SK, in that it had all the gadgets & cool
>stuff that appeals to the kids as well as something that appeals to the
>older crowd (B:TAS comes to mind, although it leans towards the adult side).

Best example I can think of to show this would be "Sailor Moon". DIC had
to revamp (read "chop up piecemeal") the show to reflect the sensibilities
of the younger audience, where in Japan it plays to a more mature one.
It's still pretty heavy in places, but nowhere near what the Japanese version
reportedly was.

>I think Turner got scared being in unfamiliar territory and pulled the plug
>redirecting his efforts to the kiddie side of things.

Borne out by the dropping of "Nexus", but mysteriously contradicted by the
pursuit of "Jonny Quest". Friends checking out the first of the Lawrence episodes
said:

"Lots of gratuitous violence; the hallmark of weak ac/adv writing."

>>>Maybe it's the realistic characters and believable dialogue, as
>>>opposed to TreeHuggerSpeak in Captain Pinhead.
>
>ROTFLMAO!!

Ditto on this side of the 49th!

>Violence is popular because violence sells! The only place you'll see an
>absence of violence is were nothing is being directly sold (i.e. no
>commercials) -- PBS. I defy anyone to tell me that CP (or any of the other
>properties that TPS owns) is non-violent!

Different kind of violence in Scooby and Flintstones though, generally involving
getting whacked over the head with a blunt instrument and so forth - very
"Roger Rabbit" style. Ted fails to notice that because his definition of "violence"
is a bit narrower than the dictionary's.

('Kay, "Squiddley-Diddley" is non-violent - that is, unless you count the violent
  manner in which you reach for the airsick bag.)