Re: Why Canceled?

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 17:32:23 EDT

>>Well, I think that if SWAT Kats is a really violent show and it make a lot
>>money, he probably will never cancel it. Maybe it's the money part that he
>>think of. I think that SWAT Kats is no more violent than your average
>>live-action action/adventure TV shows.
>
>That's probably it right there. In the U.S. The most violent cartoon not
>animated in Japan was Batman (But I detect some anime features about that).

Anime features? Hah! Check out the Fleischer Superman shorts from
the 1930s. Kids these days! No sense of history! :) :) :)

>Cartoons over here usually aren't violent, unless the violence translates to
>being funny. Since SWAT Kats has humor that is excersized in the real world
>and has an anime animation background (it was made in Japan), it corolates

Nothing to do with anime.

>to meaning that Ted finds the realism unorthidox for small children, which
>love the violence that SWAT Kats brings.

Maybe it's the realistic characters and believable dialogue, as
opposed to TreeHuggerSpeak in Captain Pinhead.

One of the reasons I like the Kats, whereas I rapidly sicken of most
of the other ac-adv SatAM stuff, is the character development, and
that probably helped get the show killed. Sigh....

>Translation: Ted thinks that SWAT Kats should be a reminecant of Barney (The
>hatable purple !$#_at_head)

Well put! Either that or make it like all the other idiodic ac-adv,
with musclebound oafs, bimbos in impossibly tight outfits, and
weapons that magically cannot hurt any living thing, no matter what.

You know, I just realized yet another reason I like the Kats. Jake
and Chance are very much ordinary guys. Yes, they have skills, but
no silly super-powers. They're athletic, but not with the impossibly
ridiculous He-Man physiques. Think about this - they're Kats, yet
they're more believably "human" than most of the "real" humans in action-
adventure animation. Brothers Tremblay - I salute your genius yet
again!

Are you ready for the Barney movie? I'm, sadly, not joking.

>But you don't get it, do you? Just what event that happens every two years?
>What event takes place in the winter one year, and in the summer two years
>later? What is everyone looking forward to? What is everyone sponsoring? The
>Olympics are taking place in Atlanta, Georga, U.S.A., this year. You can
>tell that somehow Ted is involved in the Olympics being held in his
>hometown. Somehow he's getting a ton of money over this. Ted isn't losing
>anything. He's loosing millions in broadcasting, but is making it up by
>having the Olympics in his home town. It's just a hunch, but all the peices
>fit all too well.......

This is sadly true. While he may not be officially involved, as it
is his town media-wise, he can piggyback on the Olympics and make
out like a bandit. This tactic was well discussed in yet another of
the publications I picked up at Licensing 96.

Ed