Re: *Ahem*

From: Chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 08:25:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Ed Rudnicki wrote:

> >if it wasn't so expensive (about $900 for the hardware &
> >$40/month for programming).
>
> Well believe it or not there is nowhere on my property I can site
> the dish - too many _at_#$%^&&* trees on the south side. Tall ones too.
> I'd still need cable for local channels.

Yes folks, you need a 36 degree unbostructed view of the Southwestern sky
here, and nature insists on putting trees in the way!

Those of us bereft of both Swatkats (TCN) and the Warner Bros. Network
could kill two birds with the little dish though...cut down a tree or two.

> Most of all, I like my video artifact-free, and MPEG1 compressed DSS
> does not cut it. Besides, I like to watch TV when it rains, too :)

Yeah, but the current stuff is MPEG-2 and the artifact problems inherent
in the "1" scheme are reduced to insignificance (unless you were dumb
enough to buy a Sony setup, in which case you're treated to MTV
freeze-frame in a startling variety of colours).

> For $900 I'd rather buy a pile of LDs and get an even better picture

No Swatkats on Laser-disc however...else it'd be an investment.
 "I think I liked him because I suspected that, in spite of his professional
  and easy-going demeanor, his psyche is held together with baling wire."

 "The Far Side"'s Gary Larson on his choice of Marv Newland to do the special