Time Warner + Turner

From: Dr. Samuel Conway <flogistn_at_netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 07:38:11 -0400

I heard on the radio this morning (yes, radio. Why, at one time, all we
had was radio! We used to sit around the radio listening to Jack Benny and...)

er....

I heard on the radio this morning that Time Warner has offered to buy
Turner out for 8.some billion dollars. My first thought was, "Yes! Buy
the bastard out!"

But then, let us consider this: Isn't Time Warner the same outfit that edited
all of the venerable old Loony Toons, removing any references to explicit
violence, ESPECIALLY gunshots? When I was a kid, there were scenes in the
cartoons -- yes, we had cartoons back then -- that are no longer there today.
It wasn't Turner who edited them; it was Warner. Now we get a badly-placed
still shot of Bugs Bunny holding up a "Duck Season" sign, whereas I remember
Daffy Duck being shot in the face by a 30-odd-6, and his bill spinning wildly
around and winding up backwards. Somewhere in the last 30 years, Slowpoke
Jose turned into some bizarre hypnotist, having once been "the Fastest Gun in
the World."

So who is the lesser of two evils?