Re: Time Warner + Turner

From: Timothy D Fay <fayxx001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:43:05 -0500

The Venerable Dr. Konway wrote:

>But then, let us consider this: Isn't Time Warner the same outfit that edited
>all of the venerable old Loony Toons, removing any references to explicit
>violence, ESPECIALLY gunshots?

Granted, Time-Warner is your classic Evil Corporation, but the TV networks
are really to blame for hacking up those classic cartoons. Cartoons have
been edited to remove violence and to fit into neat 5-minute blocks (a far
worse crime, IMHO). And ol' Ted is also guilty of hacking and slashing,
and even pulling entire cartoons (e.g. "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips").

Furthermore, it was Time-Warner, if you recall, that came under fire from
Bob Dole and others for promoting "violent lyrics" in rap songs. So if
they're cutting 'toons, it's only because they're under pressure to do so.

>So who is the lesser of two evils?

Given the choice, I'd hold my nose and pick Time-Warner. Though if they
were smart, they'd put me in charge of handling all those cartoons. :-)

-Tim