Re: Things that inhale and exhale in MegaKat City...\

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 10:57:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, MATT WEBER wrote:

> Let's not forget about Litterbin, Mac & Molly Mange (eww..), and
> what was the name of the Dr. at the museum in "Ghost Pilot"?

     That's Dr. Abby Sinian (remember? "Abyssinian" from prev. post?)

> Which brings to mind a lot of other kat related references...
> Wasn't there a "drug-deal" or something at the beginning of the
> "Metallikats" ep.? I can't remember, but did the mobsters refer to
> it as "kat-nip"?

    Man, that whole scene was a huge surprise. That _did_ have
underworld drug-dealing overtones - ask any cat about catnip - and the
scene where M&M off the usurper boss was a complete shock after seeing so
much PC dreck - check out the grizzled, baked claw peeking up from behind
the packing crates at the scene's end. A lot of effort went in to
putting that scene in there, it would've been far easier simply not to do
it.

    Which brings me to a "violence" point. In May, 1995 "Animation
Magazine" (you know, the one that should've had "Hanna-Barbera Presents"
on the cover), there's an article about H-B's upcoming "Jonny Quest" with
a surprising statement in it:

     "They've also added more realism. 'If you're up a cliff, you fall off
        the cliff, you die', explains (producer/director) Lawrence. 'You
        don't fall into the top of a tree and say 'well, that was a bit
        of luck,' because if you can do that then where's the jeopardy?'"

Uh huh. I'll remember that next time I hear Turner make public comments
concerning the non-violent aspect of his stuff. People like the
realistic consequences in "SwatKats", his own production team carried
that aspect forward into "Jonny", yet the rumour persists that 'KATS got
killed because of violence issues?

Andy