Re: Big fan, pics, and sound?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:59:17 -0700

Edo semaphored from the Kingdom of Id:

>Speaking of character named after a fan, I think that Andy once told me (In
>one of my first days on this list) on the list that someone else on this
>list once offered the same thing by the Tremblay brothers. Who is the lucky
>guy anyway?

Yup. The guy is a friend named Michael Hirtes - no longer on the list 'cuz he's
too tied up elsewhere - who also talks to the Tremblays every month or so.
Though he lives in Iowa, his early "fan letter" to H-B and the Bros. wound up
getting him a tour of the H-B SK facilities while the second season was in Post,
and was then offered the chance to become a character for the never-occurred
third season (from what I recall). Michael flew out to Hollyweird
specifically for this tour gig and Comicon, and met up with an artist named
Malachi-something (Keller??) and his girlfriend prior to the HB event.

If you check out rat.org, I think one of the grabs up there is called "editing.jpg"
and originates from Michael's videotape of the "tour". The image is of SwatKats
producer Davis Doi looking over "Bright and Shiny Future" retakes
just returned from Mook overseas. (A "retake" is called when there's a mistake
in the original animated footage from overseas: a colour glitch, spelling mistake,
incorrect background or other artistic anomaly that has to be sent back for
correction. "Bright and Shiny" had all of these in one form or another, hence
Davis' efforts on the editor).

At the time of Michael's tour, the story of "Doc Konway" was already the stuff
of myth and legend, and was brought up by either Michael or Christian during
the tour. In fact, I think that's what sparked the Tremblays' character-status offer to
Michael in the first place.

(Now we'll have to make Turner a character in the thing. Problem is, all the
 really good Villain personas have been used. Ted could be "Blackout" - in
 reference to yanking the Turbokat's coil-wire).