Re: Unmasked 2 and ... romance?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 07:41:30 -0700

>Well chance, this could be an idea for the sequel of SwatKats Unmasked. Steel(e) still upset from 'SwatKats Unmasked' decided to make full investigation on the guys. Collecting every piece of evidence that he could find that lead to the guys being the SwatKats, searching the junkyard for evidence, spying on the guys, make a journal of every SwatKats activity, etc.

Hmm. Another good idea. Now all I have to do is create a 48hr. day (that is, one
that I don't have to work 40 hrs of).

>>I've not been very successful. Your idea
>>of "romantic" will have the effect of confining your story to an audience of people that
>>share your definition, where such unnecessary restriction would not apply if you merely
>>leave romantic entanglements at the "flirting" or "anything's possible" stage.
>
>Yeah, but if you stay in that stage for a very long time, the audience may get a little ... upset.

That *never* happens. Not once. Ever. When you start a series, it's like taking
a trip on a large highway. There's all kinds of off-ramps you can take, but
every time you do that and wind up on a side-road, the road becomes narrower.
Each time you make a choice at the storyline "forks in the road" and reduce the
number of possibilities, the path becomes narrower and narrower the further you
get from the "highway". Pairing your characters off as love interests is analogous to
abandoning the "highway" altogether for the story equivalent of a deer-path.
Megakat City needs nice, big multi-lane highways in the "official" continuity. Since
fanfic is just someone's particular interpretation of the characters, you can go where
you please. You just might lose your audience before Chapter Two.

>I don't get it, fanfic and the show is the same?

Nein. Not at all. However, the same reason people like the show is also what
will prompt them to read your fanfic. Some might like to see possibilities
explored in fanfic that are barely touched on in the show (the attraction of most
fanfic), others may simply want to see "further adventures" written along exactly
the same lines as the series. Tastes vary - fanfic accomodates. However, from
what I've read, out of all the divergences that you can make from the storyline,
heavily graphic romantic entanglements generally have the smallest appeal range.
Your mileage may vary, though I'm personally in no great hurry to see Callie
and Razor involved in some pseudo-gothic hyper-descriptive saccharine romance.

"The scent of her drove him wild with desire. Every breath, every movement,
  was a study in beauty. His heart raced..."

BLECH! I get my daily dose of that stuff listening to "Melrose Place" ads on the
one-eyed babysitter.

>>Romance can be worked in slowly and carefully, but some people should
>>watch what they put in.
>
>What is the differences between love and romance?

Hmmm. Love is more the attraction, and "romance" the mood surrounding it.
I find even those that try to make sure it's "worked in slowly and carefully"
tend to slide into the purplest of prose anyway. Still, katsfic is your province -
you can make "romance" the capitol if you want. I'll just stay in the suburbs.