Unmasked 2 and ... romance?

From: Edo Andromedo <macsonic_at_rad.net.id>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 15:09:08 +0700

On Wed, 8 May 1996 08:26:27 -0700 Andy Hill wrote:
>...and it's a *fine* idea! I generally find things written from=
 first-person perspective to
>be a bit, er...distracting, but in this case it could work out well. How=
 about a story written
>in the form of journal entries or something - perhaps from the POV of a=
 "Private Detective"
>or Enforcer hired by a suspicious member of the Government to keep an eye=
 on Jake and
>Chance (i.e. to see if they could actually be the SwatKats)? Cool.

Well chance, this could be an idea for the sequel of SwatKats Unmasked.=
 Steel(e) still upset from 'SwatKats Unmasked' decided to make full=
 investigation on the guys. Collecting every piece of evidence that he could=
 find that lead to the guys being the SwatKats, searching the junkyard for=
 evidence, spying on the guys, make a journal of every SwatKats activity, et=
c.

Andy also wrote about romance:
>You can't really do this for a couple of reasons, and these are most=
 effectively
>demonstrated by checking out the portrayal of "romance" on today's TV and a=
ttempting
>to choose one that parallels your definition of it.

Er, romance? I thought that I was talking about a love story, how do romance=
 got into this thread anyway?

>I've not been very successful. Your idea
>of "romantic" will have the effect of confining your story to an audience=
 of people that
>share your definition, where such unnecessary restriction would not apply=
 if you merely
>leave romantic entanglements at the "flirting" or "anything's possible" sta=
ge.

Yeah, but if you stay in that stage for a very long time, the audience may=
 get a little ... upset.

>Every time that
>"romance" has been written into a series storyline where it had previously=
 been avoided
>like the plague has failed miserably; case in point: "Moonlighting" and the=
 old series "V".

Why written romance into the storyline? Why not make romance a part of the=
 storyline itself?

>The "X-Files" has avoided developing stories along these lines despite=
 pressure from
>writers and a segment of the audience to do so. Chris Carter thinks it's a=
 bad idea, and
>I think it has the effect of shifting the "focus" of a particular show - be=
 it Katsfic or 'Files -
>from those elements that made it successful in the first place.

I don't get it, fanfic and the show is the same?

>Do I want to see Callie and Jake on a romantic level deeper than say,=
 oh...Jenna and Balto?

Er, how do Jake got into the act? And why is that it have to be Jake?

>Not a chance.

Don't know about a Chance, but it surely a Jake. <g>

On Wed, 8 May 1996 DJ Clawson wrote:
>I am not lazy or anything,

Well, I am a very lazy person indeed.

>As for the Jake and Chance as kids
>story I wrote for English class, I rewrote it this weekend, and sadly, I
>cannot send it to the list. First of all, it has next to nothing to do with
>the show aside from the fact it IS backstory (no mention of enforcers or
>anything).

Well, send it, I don't care if it's a back story. It got Jake and Chance, is=
n't?

BTW DJ, you will divided it in section, wouldn't you? Since that I have a=
 hard time reading "Children of the Stone".

>Secondly, it's an extremely Jewish story (I got inspired by
>Philip Roth's works) and I'm actually thinking of submitting it to a
>magazine or something (it's about 10 pages).

Okay, so maybe it has some things, lets just call those things --=
 cross-overs stuff.

>If I do, Chance will not be given a last name

Hmmm, how about consulting us on giving him an alternative last name, after=
 all, you did get Charon's name from this list. ;)

>and Jake Clawson should become Jake Dawson,

Hmmm... How about "Dawnson"?

>so it'll
>literally move away from the classification of "fanfiction."

You, write a story, send it to the story site. Me, write a story, throw it=
 into the trash.

DJ wrote about Jake anc Callie:
> Why am I the only one who doesn't seem to agree with the Jake/Cally pair
>up?!?

Well, believe me DJ, you're not the only one. I agree that both Callie and=
 Jake are very likeable and loveable characters, but I won't dare to match=
 the two.

> What it looks like from what I've seen fans say, there seems to be some
>sort of misconception that the females have to be divided evenly with the
>males.

Well, fans do that all the time, always trying to pairing the character that=
 they seen in the TV.

Of course it would be interesting if they start matching females with=
 females. :) Or males with males.

>If there was the question, "Well, who'll go with Cally?" many fans
>who've felt the need to find one of the guys just because the show stressed
>their infatuation with her have turned to Jake.

What happen if she decided to choose another kat?

>Personally, I can't see her with EITHER of them, and screw their lousy
>crushes.

Er, who has the crushes?

But PERSONALLY, I can't see her with a boyfriend.

>Jake is a scientist and and engineer, a pilot at heart.

Well, Jake is a very bright kat who has a lot of time in his hands.

>Cally is a politician.

Don't know, she seem to have all the characterisitc of a lawyer to me. Of=
 course lawyer and politician has the same characteristic.

>They (Callie and Jake)have next to NOTHING in common.

Except that a LOT people like them and fans always try to match the two.=
 Read my previous message.

>As for Chance, I can't see him settling down with anyone
>without his wild charisma. That's why I paired him with Felina in my
>stories--they're both gargoyles anyway, what's the difference?

Well, one thing, Clawson and Feral don't mix, period!

>As for Jake, well . . . we all know that answer, if you read my fanfic.

You like Jake, you like Sinian. A LOT people like Jake, a LOT people like=
 Callie. See the similarities? People always match the character that they l=
ike.

>Romance can be worked in slowly and carefully, but some people should
>watch what they put in.

What is the differences between love and romance?

> Dr. Jake

Hmmm, Dr. Jake (Dr. Jake as in DJ Clawson, that's mean you DJ! :) and=
 Callie. Now that's an interesting idea, not a good one, but interesting=
 nonetheless. :)

Edo Andromedo email : macsonic_at_rad.net.id
"Coming my queen!"