Comments on Sonic #36 (spoilers)

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:17:38 -0400 (EDT)

Here's a form feed, for what good it does:

The cover:

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That rotten UPC symbol covered up part of Sally's cute tush!!!

Note to Spaz et al: please take this into account when creating these
masterpieces! I was half-tempted to try drawing the rest of her in from
the preview in Sonic #35...

Also, I think I kind of liked Sally better with black pupils with a white
dot on them; this white pupil on a blue iris doesn't quite work for me (if
anybody wants a sample of the former, I can e-mail sally.jpg to them...)

I didn't quite get the discussion re. "The void" vs. "The zone of silence",
but maybe I didn't concentrate hard enough (or else I need to check those
back issues mentioned...)

The bottom of page 8 was a bit confusing; are we to infer that Robotnik
kept that "photon cannon" going from the time of King Acorn's imprisonment
until just now?

I'll leave comment on the ID of the masked rider to others, and/or until
after another issue or two :^) Though it _does_ conflict with the show...

The Knuckles story:

Not sure why Dimitri had to hook up _sails_ to the island - didn't he have
enough power to propel it himself?

How could fire ants chew through the wall in so short a time? (hours?)
This seemed a bit deus ex machina to me... Also that with all that power,
Dimitri could apparently be crushed to death by the collapse of the tower
(and it wasn't clear that the skull-like (shades of The Phantom?) Mt. Fate
was created by its collapse).

Well, well, a quote from Proverbs 6:6 :^) Either this means Mobius is a
future Earth (refuted by the letter column stating Tails is a Mobain fox
not an Earth fox), or it was influenced by Earth culture/settlers, or that
Star Trek episode about parallel planet development (Bread and Circuses)
applies, but _that_ would have some interesting theological consequences :^)

I still think the decision to dismantle their technological society was a
bit of an overreaction, but I'll accept it for the story's sake...

The preview of the cover for #38:

I'll leave comments on this to others who can do so without drooling all
over their keyboards :^) At least the UPC symbol will only cover part of
her boots this time...

Keep up the good work!

RDB