Active Users

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 08:26:38 -0500 (EST)

> On 96-01-04 10:46:11 EST, Erich Schulman wrote:
>
> >The Sonic list has 80 subscribers at present, as we approach our >first
> anniversary next month.
>
> 80 SUBSCRIBERS?! How come I saw only about ten of then? No wait, I can answer
> that. They are either too busy, can't call at the time, or just don't care. I
> for one like having a small amount of people on the board. Feels kind of like
> our own, tiny, Fredom Fighter group, but than, that's who we are :') .

Actually, that's not too far from my own findings on other lists. I
once recorded the postings for one month from another list to which I
subscribe. Of the total number of subscribers (about 200), only a
minority (maybe 70) bothered to post anything during the month. And of
that 70, a mere 7 were responsible for roughly HALF of the data traffic
that month (one of the seven was the SysOp, so that might have had
something to do with it). A perfect example of what Nixon called "the
slient majority." Some people just want to lurk.

|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ || drazen_at_andrews.edu