Stick to the chocolates and flowers...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 07:31:04 -0700

Edo opined:

>>>Yeah, but if you stay in that stage for a very long time, the audience may get a little ... upset.
>>
>>That *never* happens. Not once. Ever.
>
>Yeah, but in these days, you never gonna know what is going to happen.

Sure you do. Check out anything that passes for a romantic liason between two
leads in an action/adventure/comedy series and come back and tell me what you
think. M*A*S*H* lasted 12 years. It only had a few romantic entanglements of
the heavy-breathing variety that went beyond a single ep (well, other than the strictly
comedic Houlihan/Burns affair), and was none the worse for wear because of it.

>>When you start a series, it's like taking
>>a trip on a large highway. There's all kinds of off-ramps you can take, but
>>every time you do that and wind up on a side-road, the road becomes narrower.
>
>Hmmm... Chance's famous shortcut?

Heh. Very clever. Seriously though, 22 minutes available for a coherent storyline,
and you really want to spend time depicting stuff beyond the flowers-and-chocolates
stage? I think I'd like one storyline with Jake and Chance escorting Callie and Felina
to some kind of off-hours offical MegaKat city function (I kind of picture something
like a park-dedication, "Family Day"..that sort of thing) - purely casual right down the
line - and then having something happen that requires them all to act in their official
capacities. Awkward enough for Callie and Felina without all the trappings of their
respective offices with them, but almost impossible to carry off for Jake and Chance
who'd be too far away from the Hangar and TK, and likely without wheels to make
their escape (having taken a limo or something to the park with the girls). Could be
cool.

In the park setting - with all the families and babies and park-bench Lotharios plying
their wares - you'd have a good opportunity for each party to spout a few lines
concerning what they think of the whole 2.5 kids/two-car-garage/white-picket-fence
scenario, and maybe his/her idea of the perfect mate (I can sorta picture Callie or Felina
looking down their nose at some park-bench duo spouting some overly-romantic
poetic tripe at one-another, and then making the "finger-down-throat" motion. Kat
guys look at each-other in near-shock, as earlier in the day they'd been discussing
among themselves what katgirls look for in a katguy, and the romantic poetry/serenade-under-the-balcony stuff had been suggested!)

Eh, YMMV.