Um...this 'forward' gets some extra comments...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:22:35 -0800

(Here's the forwarded part ">")

>To: kats_at_bort.mv.net
>From: fhs1_at_shastalink.k12.ca.us (Foothill High School Library)
>Subject: Legal Technicalities
>
>Due to a school Internet agreement, I cannot use My real name, so therefore,
>I am now changing my name to Grand Admiral Thrawn. Sorry, but one of the
>people in charge of making sure that nothing gets screwed up or that pervs
>don't send us kiddie-porn-type-crud. Well, I am still trying to get Ted
>Turner's <UUGGHH> E-Mail address. Also, I am doing something (nothing that
>will get the Feds on my case) involving ToonNet_at_AOL.COM (Hah!!!! Have fun
>trying to figure out what that will be!)

...and here's my pre-emptive editorial.

Dude, Toonnet_at_aol.com represents the Cartoon Network. I've talked with the
Cartoon Network - they're on our side - and would like nothing better than
more katseps to run beyond the completed 24. Unfortunately, Turner is set up
so that the slowest form of communication occurs horizontally, so Cartoon Network's
lines of communication to the rest of the Turner Empire are actually *worse* than
ours to the Turner Empire. Scary, isn't it? For instance, Cartoon Network started
receiving a ton of katmail at that there "toonnet" address, and someone there
started making enquiries of the Turner chain-of-command as to why such an
obviously popular show was canned in favour of relative drivel. Turner took a few
days, then one of the suits in the heirarchy came up with "ratings". In reality, the
answer should've been "Pirates of Dark Water"; the same type of mismanagement
was responsible for the clueless behaviour witnessed in either sorry spectacle.

The labyrinth of the Turner organization is designed so that it's impossible to
simply pick up the phone, dial someone in the Atlanta Pentagon, and actually
get connected to someone willing to take responsibility for something. Many
have tried both within and without.

Now, in the year that this list has been in existence, the Turner powers-that-be
have considered us at turns inconsequential, mildly amusing, downright
irritating - or even a eclectic collection of the kind of folks that clap their hands together
hoping that certain fairies will reawaken from a coma. All of that can still be considered
"positive", but adding juvenile internet parlor tricks to up the ante and spam addresses
setup for fan feedback is not acceptable behaviour, is utterly counterproductive, and
won't be cheered on the sidelines by any of the katfans I know. I don't doubt that
whoever suggested this considered it some way to instigate some kind of movement
within the Turner organization concerning the Kats, but believe me, this *isn't* the
kind of movement we want.

Turner screwed up big with public-relations on this whole Kat-thing, but we don't
need to press the big "down" button to descend to the same level, do we?

Anyway, horrible first message to welcome you to the list, but "welcome"
regardless...