Re: Action figures and the publicity....

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 18:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Ian Lynn wrote:

> I agree that the Kats are getting pushed under the rug on alot of things,
> but I'm not sure about the toy end of things. Let's take another example:

     Well, you usually see _something_ somewhere - like the toy releases
for "Exo", it seems a lot of the fans knew far in advance of the new
stuff. The manufacturer of them was originally going to release them for
Christmas 94, but backed out because the feeling was that Turner wouldn't
provide the support in terms of advertising and the like, and the mfg
didn't want to get slaughtered by MMPR because of it.

> I'd give Kenner or whomever (anyone know for sure) is making them (hope it's
> not Kenner after seeing some recent Batman stuff) a little more time to start
> the push. Plus with all the net noise (Andy!!) and the SK month on the CN,
> I'm sure they'll do fine.

     The toy manufacturer is Remco, and the 'KATS figures represent their
return to the action figure market from other endeavours in Toyland. I
personally think the figures could've used another revision, but that's
because one of my pet peeves is when figures end up not looking exactly
like the TV show they represent. I believe they kind of settled for a
compromise with the figure design to allow for differences in comic books
etc that would've come later. Buzz Potamkin at H-B was ultimately
responsible for their approval as they are now. Thanks for the "net
noise" credit, but the rest of the choir includes Dana, Matt Weber, Kevin
Knoles and a few others I don't recognize from other areas of the net.
The noise will likely be even louder with the newsgroup! (Wednesday, at
this point, the control message goes out).

Andy