Re: MY important notice to RAT (pleez read)

From: Doug LoConti <mighty_at_en.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 06:43:12 +0000

> > > It is ridiculous for you to assume that I owe you this service. Lack of
> > > appreciation like this makes me wish I had shut it down sooner. Though I can
> > > only hope you and your attitude is in the minority.
> >
> > Rat, let's be sensable: the government, (for example,) doesn't OWE us
>
> Yes, the government owes us. But I guess you don't pay taxes yet. Would you
> like to pay me taxes? If you paid me, and I didn't follow through on the
> agreement, then you would have reason to bitch. Otherwise, shut the hell up.
> I'm sick of hearing this.

I'll pay you. If you keep this list up, I'll pay you. Strike your
price. (reasonable)

> > > It doesn't matter anyway since the list is going away soon.
> >
> > You don't seem to care.
>
> It's pointless to try to enforce list policy when there is about to be no
> list. And I do care, otherwise I would have just shut the list down without
> warning. Ever consider that?
>
> > You always (have had) this chip on your shoulder. Mind explaining why?
>
> It just upsets me when people forget that this is a free service that I am
> providing, and refuse to respect that. People still post binaries and fan
> fiction regardless of how much I bitched about it. And I get "how dare that
> mean ratman tell me not to do this".
>
> The reaction to me shutting the list down makes me even more bitter. I don't
> owe any of you anything. And after seeing some of the flames and personal
> attacks against me, I wish I had known about those people so I could have
> banned them from the list sooner. As much as people don't like the fact, this
> list is on MY server, and if people don't like it, they can get the hell out.
> I don't have to explain why, it is my decision. This is not a democracy. For
> example, if EVERYONE wrote me and said they wanted fanfic to be permitted to
> be posted, do you think I would allow it? I don't think so. But this is all a
> moot point since this list will be no more.

You're right about one thing, that IS rather bitter! :)

> The upside to this, is nobody HAS TO be here. If everyone hated the way I
> ran things, someone else could make their own mailing list, and everyone
> would join that.

> But I'll try not to let the flames get me down, I did see a few nice
> thank-you's from people. I do appreciate it.

probably not me. After all, I just want what's best for
everybody-including YOU! So, what do you say...? I'll pay ya
taxes, OR help me set up my own list man!

> So to people that said thank you, I say "I appreciate it, and you're
> welcome", and I'm sorry to see you go.
>
> And to those freeloading scum, I say, "I wish you had shown your true colors
> before so I could have kicked your ungrateful ass off."
>
> Note I have unsubscribed hk512_at_cleveland.freenet.edu since I don't feel like
> reading any other posts by him.
>
> And I'd like to thank Erich, who was the real list admin. I owned the list,
> but I asked him to run it, which he did. His job was to be the person behind
> owner-sonic_at_lists.mv.net that people could ask questions to. Also he had the
> dredded task of unsubscribing invalid email addresses.

So What do you say? Help me out...? Rat? (That sounds so
impersonal)

I'm really trying to be nice and good to all, honest.