Re: The Termination of This List

From: Joseph Delacroix <hk512_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:09:30 -0400

Ratman then said:

>> > And if this "rat bashing" becomes a trend, I think i'd like to shut it
>> > down right now. I'll see how it goes today and tomorrow.
>> > But I'd rather give it the full week for people to say their goodbyes,
>> > and possibly advertise for other forums people can use to discuss Sonic.
>>
>> Please, no threats. I don't care how much power people have, I HATE
>> them holding it over the little folk's head(s)....
>
>It's not a matter of me holding it over anyone's head. I'm just giving a
>warning.

It's a threat, Ratman. You're taking away a very useful communications
tool from these people already, so saying you might do it a little
early is quite a damaging thing to do.

>I'd rather give people a chance than just shut it off early.

Your statement seems contridictory to your previous actions and statements.

>Given a choice between watching 5 days of flames being spammed to the list,
>or no posts at all, I'd choose nothing.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's a
documented scientific law, you know.

>I really just don't want to see people whine. It's not productive.

Well, Ratman, perhaps if you weren't basically taking away several people's
friends, then maybe we'd be a little nicer to you. After all, if I
chose to shoot you in the leg, I'd expect that you'd say something
about it to the effect of `hey, that's not nice'.

>Now if someone wants to provide an alternative, then fine, but a
>long-winded "ratman is a jerk" post, I'd rather avoid those.

Ratman, if you would have read my statement, you would realize that said
message has a lot of valid points in it; and that perhaps if you took
some of my suggestions to heart, there might be a hope that you would
realize the error of your ways and keep this list operating. It wasn't
just a flame of you, it was a detailed list of your negative actions
toward other people on this list that probably discouraged a lot of
the so called `on-topic' posts which you so desired.

Think about this logically for a moment, Ratman. If people get yelled
at for posting tidbits of news relevant to Sonic fandom, posting
fanfic stories, or participating in a thread regarding the creation
of a new kind of Sonic fandom, what's left? Not a lot, except for
Drazen's FAQ additions and the occasional spam blitzkreig by a newbie.

>But I do want to give people a chance to say their goodbyes... wait, I
>already said that. Do I always have to re-explain myself?

Your statement had been noted already, Ratman. It's just a matter of
the remainder of us being irate at your actions.

Joe.

--
FurryMUCK: furry.org 8888 (Joe_Fox) | Joseph deLaCroix hk512_at_po.cwru.edu
SPR: svansmoj.ctrl-c.liu.se (Joe) | The CDA is bad. http://www.eff.com/