Knuckles #1 (spoilers), was Re: No subject

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 14:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

>From: KenP7672_at_aol.com

>>Let's just say this... if I gave my opinion, everyone would want to kill me.

>>All my firends are saying that I didn't like it just because I have a thing
>>against Knuckles....

>Well, I wouldn't kill you. I don't care if I hear comments of praise or
>criticsm. I just want to know if people are reading the book, and what
>they're likes an/or dislikes are.

OK, you asked for it :^)

Spoiler form feed:

The beginning was a bad start for me, since it seemed to be basically a
rip-off of Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark. And shouldn't the
guardian of the Island (these days, Knuckles) be able to bypass all those
traps and stuff? And death-traps seem a bit out-of-character for Knuckles'
ancestors - were they so anti-technology they'd _kill_ to prevent it from
getting out? And I have a hard time believing Knuckles is enough of an
athlete to have escaped all those traps (and a harder time about his
dreadlocks enabling him to fly).

So Archimedes is an evolved fire-ant who dresses like Crocodile Dundee?
Sorry, didn't work for me, but I don't believe in evolution (even if I did,
to go from ants like we have today to sentience in a few hundred years (how
old _is_ the Floating Island anyway?) is a bit much to swallow...)

Speaking of swallowing: not to restart the "what meat do sentient furries
eat?" thread, but I found it ironic that Archimedes was an ant and echidnas
are spiny ANT-eaters... :^)

And Enerjak being Dimitri after a long nap - I get the feeling of "been
there done that" but we'll see where you take it...

At least we now know Knuckles' knuckles are part of him (from the letter
column), but it still requires a bit of suspension of belief that he can
do what he does without discrete fingers...

Bottom line: I've never been a Knuckles fan either, and only put up with
him because he was part of Sonic's world. I'll see the mini-series
through, but if it becomes a regular series, I'll probably give it a pass -
the characters aren't cute furries like the Freedom Fighters, and my other
tastes in comic books run more towards superheroes (which ended with Crisis
on Infinite Earths - don't get me started on that), and Star-Trek, which
also recently ended. I also collect Disney, but don't make a great effort
to find the time to read them. Anyway, to get back on topic: I'd rather
see more effort put into the Freedom Fighters (e.g., another Princess Sally
or Tails mini-series).

Sorry to be so negative, but I guess I see the whole Knuckles thing as one
more exercise in pushing the video game stuff, which is understandable, but
I just can't get into it...

BTW, the art was good though :^)

Ron