Comments on Sonic #37 (spoilers)

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 15:14:37 -0400 (EDT)

Spoiler form feed:

I hate to be such a naysayer, but here goes:

The cover didn't work for me in two areas: Sally seemed a bit paunchy,
and I couldn't tell if Sonic was supposed to be flying (how?) or hanging
onto something (how, again, with both arms full?).

Story by Angelo Decesare, art by Brian Thomas.

The art was OK, though Rotor on page 10 was out of perspective -
he looked more like Butch Kowalski from Littlest Pet Shop :^)

The story was OK, though I was expecting a continuation of last issue's
King Acorn saga... The usual nitpicks follow:

I don't think I buy the bit about Uncle Chuck staying a robot - if he
(and presumably Muttski) are the only ones left, how will he still spy
on Robotnik? (Assuming the deroboticization was permanent...)

How convenient/lucky Sally gets clobbered like that and only ends up with
a sprained arm and bruised head - anybody else would've had a broken spine
or worse, but hey, this is a comic book :^)

Robotnik lamenting his "beautiful city" after being wrecked by the quake?
Seems to me he gloried in pollution and destruction - wouldn't a quake
just hasten the process?

The ending seemed a bit abrupt - not even a "to be continued", but the
letter column indicates it will be...

Now for the Bunnie story:

Again, I hate to be negative, but I'll sum it up with one word: Dallas.
If that didn't work, here's another one: take the title literally.

About all I can say is "now that we got _that_ over with, can we get onto
some _other_ Bunnie stories? Or is that all you can do with her?"

The artwork by Rich Koslowski was great, but I'll let other drooling
fanboys comment about the clear indication that she's all robot from the
waist down, even her tail :^( FWIW, I just checked the title credits on
the show, as well as "Sonic Conversion", and they both show she's organic
from the waist up. Also FWIW, I notice the title sequence and first
episode gave Sally solid-blue eyes, yet the second season gave her blue eyes
and black pupils (with a white dot); I prefer the latter, but I digress...

After I just now checked Bunnie's de- and re-roboticization in Sonic
Conversion, I'm afraid this story didn't have quite the same emotional
impact, but that's probably being unfair, comparing animated sound cartoon
with a voiceless, unmoving comic book. Still, that shot of Bunnie on page 3
and her tearful departure on page 7 weren't anything to sneeze at. However,
I'm still disappointed at the ending - I think I would have preferred some
technobabble solution over the one that was offered. Oh well, I suppose
any Bunnie story is better than none at all :^)

I didn't recognize any names in the "find your name in print page" - does
anybody from the list write to the comic itself? And whatever happened
to that "notes from the net" idea?

RDB