Re: Knuckles #1 (spoilers), was Re: No subject

From: <KenP7672_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:54:34 -0400

>The beginning was a bad start for me, since it seemed to be basically a
rip-off of Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark. And shouldn't the
guardian of the Island (these days, Knuckles) be able to bypass all those
traps and stuff? And death-traps seem a bit out-of-character for Knuckles'
ancestors - were they so anti-technology they'd _kill_ to prevent it from
getting out? <

Sorry you didn't like the Indiana Jones riff, but we were determined to get
the series off with a bang. However, don't chalk up the death-traps entirely
to the echidnas who disavowed technology. There are more than a few secrets
to the Grand Conservatory waiting to be revealed. A hint of things to come is
revealed in issue #3.

>And I have a hard time believing Knuckles is enough of an
athlete to have escaped all those traps (and a harder time about his
dreadlocks enabling him to fly).<

Whether or not YOU chose to believe KNUCKLES has the ability to survive all
those traps is one thing. It wasn't just athletic ability alone, he had to
outwit the gauntlet as well. As for his powers of flight, SEGA says he can
GLIDE through the air. It works for me.

>So Archimedes is an evolved fire-ant who dresses like Crocodile Dundee?
Sorry, didn't work for me, but I don't believe in evolution (even if I did,
to go from ants like we have today to sentience in a few hundred years (how
old _is_ the Floating Island anyway?) is a bit much to swallow...)<

Who said we showed only a few hundred years of history? And who says those
fire-ants WEREN'T on the same intelligence level as Archimedes? We could
barely squeeze in the plot points and characterizations that we did.

>Speaking of swallowing: not to restart the "what meat do sentient furries
eat?" thread, but I found it ironic that Archimedes was an ant and echidnas
are spiny ANT-eaters... :^)<

This was DELIBERATE on our part, and we address this with great relish (pun
intended) in the second issue.

>And Enerjak being Dimitri after a long nap - I get the feeling of "been
there done that" but we'll see where you take it...<

Maybe you have, but what about the kids who are part of the audience as well?
My nine year old son and his friends are eating this stuff up.

>Bottom line: I've never been a Knuckles fan either, and only put up with
him because he was part of Sonic's world. I'll see the mini-series
through, but if it becomes a regular series, I'll probably give it a pass -
the characters aren't cute furries like the Freedom Fighters, and my other
tastes in comic books run more towards superheroes (which ended with Crisis
on Infinite Earths - don't get me started on that), and Star-Trek, which
also recently ended. I also collect Disney, but don't make a great effort
to find the time to read them. Anyway, to get back on topic: I'd rather
see more effort put into the Freedom Fighters (e.g., another Princess Sally
or Tails mini-series).<

This is a legitimate POV. However, if this does become a regular series,
you'll be missing out on some interaction with SONIC and the FF if you do.
(You have heard of crossovers, haven't you?) Also, initial reaction to the
KNUCKLES mini-series seems to be STRONGER than PRINCESS SALLY or TAILS. If
sales supports this, it's a good chance there'll be more of everyone's
favorite echidna. And Archie isn't playing favorites either. They would love
to see a TAILS or PS series do as well as SONIC. It's you the fans who
determine what is produced and what isn't.

Ken