Re: "King" Sonic?

From: David M. Pistone <rotor_at_PrimeNet.Com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 06:11:58 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Dan Drazen wrote:

> Under the British system, Elizabeth II should have named Princess Anne
> as "Princess Royal" -- the female equivalent of the Prince of Wales and
> Earl of Chester, i.e., the heir-apparent. I guess with three sons
> (Charles, Andrew and Edward), there's little chance of that happening.
> Sally has consistently been called "Princess" but she probably wouldn't
> have been named "Princess Royal" until she came of age, much as Charles
> wasn't named Prince of Wales until he turned 21 in 1969, though he was
> DECLARED Prince of Wales in 1958 at age 10.
>
> So if that were out of the way, does that pave Sonic's way to the throne
> of Mobius? Not so fast: under British peerage, while the wives of
> princes are automatically royal, the husbands of royalty can only
> receive a courtesy title. It wasn't until after ten years of marriage
> that Elizabeth's husband, Philip, was named Prince of the United
> Kingdom (note: not KING by any means). He was made Duke of Edinburgh,
> Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich on the eve of his wedding to
> Elizabeth.

If you ask me, and I hope I don't offend the British, but ...

That sounds like a very sexist tradition.
In England, a man is only given a courtesy title while a woman is given
full royalty, why? My guess is that originally, the thinking went
something like this . . .The man is the ruler of a country so, if he's
not good enough to have been born into royalty in the first place, he
certainly has no right to be King.(Even if he is qualified). The woman,
on the other hand, while she may not be royalty, she has the ability to
give birth to children that will be royalty, so she should be given
royalty so that the children can have it too.
(I should think Mobius would be a little more enlightened than that.)

Thts probably not to accurate, but it's the best I can do.

In the meantime, here another royal mind-bender for you to mull over . . .

Everyone knows that Sonic and Sally are going to be married one day.
This means that Sonic will be the next ruler of Mobius. So, what kind of
ruler would he be? Does he have the right qualifications?

You tell me.

Long Live KING Sonic the First, and God save us all if Sally decides to
marry Antoine instead!!!!!!!!
"There are two kinds of lawyers in this world."
"Those that know the law, and those that know the judge."

--David Pistone's distinguished collection of dumb lawyer jokes

David M. Pistone -- rotor_at_primenet.com __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
ftp.primenet.com/users/r/rotor /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
http://www.primenet.com/~rotor / / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /