"King" Sonic?

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 22:01:02 -0500 (EST)

Well, in "The Return" (Sonic #22) there is an offhand reference to "King
Sonic" on page 3. Could it be? Only if Mobian laws of succession are
more liberal than British peerage.

Under the British system, Elizabeth II should have named Princess Anne
as "Princess Royal" -- the female equivalent of the Prince of Wales and
Earl of Chester, i.e., the heir-apparent. I guess with three sons
(Charles, Andrew and Edward), there's little chance of that happening.
Sally has consistently been called "Princess" but she probably wouldn't
have been named "Princess Royal" until she came of age, much as Charles
wasn't named Prince of Wales until he turned 21 in 1969, though he was
DECLARED Prince of Wales in 1958 at age 10.

So if that were out of the way, does that pave Sonic's way to the throne
of Mobius? Not so fast: under British peerage, while the wives of
princes are automatically royal, the husbands of royalty can only
receive a courtesy title. It wasn't until after ten years of marriage
that Elizabeth's husband, Philip, was named Prince of the United
Kingdom (note: not KING by any means). He was made Duke of Edinburgh,
Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich on the eve of his wedding to
Elizabeth.

Does that make Sonic a freeloader? Well, I figure that with Robotnik
out of the way and all righted on Mobius, as in the end of "Sally's
Quest," they'd probably find room to slap a title on the hedgehog. I
propose: First Lord of the House of Ring [heraldic device: a gloved hand
holding a golden ring]. Sounds decent.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rodent:
|| ||
|| ___------__ ||
|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ ||
|| //\ / \ /__ || drazen_at_andrews.edu
|| | o| 0|__ --_ ||
|| \\____-- __ \ ___ - || Custodian of one of the
|| (_at_@ __/ / /_ || Sonic the Hedgehog FAQ Files
|| //|\__/ \\ ___- || ICH BIN EIN MOBIAN
|| /___//_\ /___\ || ascii Sonic by Han J. Lee
|| ||