Re: jets?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 06:48:56 -0700

>On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, chance wrote:
>
>>version of the A-10 Thunderbolt/Warthog show up in the 'Kats - just about
>>my favourite aircraft at the moment!
>
> But the A-10 has a fatal flaw: It can't carry any missles for air
>combat if it runs into enemy aircraft. I saw a review on the A-10 on
>WINGS on Discovery Channel, and I think it showed some F-14s accompanying
>it on it's mission.

Well, its role is ground support, so it's pretty much a given that it'll wind up
holding the short straw in an air-to-air situation; it's a slug. However, having
the aircraft stolen by one of the nasties could make for some interesting mayhem
among the Enforcer armor - the "Warthog" variant even has a heavily armored
underbelly in an off-the-shelf configuration! So much for MegaKat triple-A!

(In retrospect, the plane looks decidely "low-tech" as compared to things
  like the "Blue Manx". Those of us into toys will likely have noticed that
  a certain G.I. Joe vehicle *is* essentially the Thunderbolt - with the addition
  of a third engine to distance it from its RL counterpart.)

OYBTW, I seem to remember seeing something similar to the near-Turbokat
that Matt mentioned seeing in an earlier post. If I can recall where, I'll go back
for another look.