Renewal prospects and Barbarella: Evil Atlantan Space Queen emeritus...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 09:32:20 -0700

>>(Man, I forgot the LD of "Barbarella"...)
>Actually, shouldn't that be good to see? If being embarrasing to JF&Co
>counts for anything, it should (just grit your teeth & say "It's for the
>good of the whole world!")

Heh. And at the time, Jane was boinking the Italian director of the thing
between takes....but _at_@@@@hhh...this is a family show. (Though the
more 'horizontal' outtakes make for an interesting mental definition of
"Jane's Workout Video" - in fur, no less.)

Can you imagine the boost to Ted's PR image (and the TCN viewership
at large) if TCN were able to announce that the audience could look
forward to new eps of Kats - one of their most popular offerings? Most
folks won't keep viewing a canned series without hope of new eps, but
not so with the katfans, and it must be the source of unending embarrassment
to Turner, who'd much rather you switch your allegiance to "Captain Planet" or
something that they'll be spending the equivalent of the Defence Budget on to tell
you how much you're supposed to like it. I'd bet they're looking at the TCNKats
numbers each month, and finding a suitably tall stack of paperwork to bury them
under because they don't mesh with what they *willed* to happen. Too bad.
Better cash that reality check.

They have three episodes of a *proven* winner - even if you just talk TCN - sitting
on the shelf at Hanna-Barbera just waiting for someone to gather up some loose
change and send 'em overseas to Mook for animation. Think of the enormity of that
for a moment. The cost of animating those eps to a billion-dollar organization like
Fondacom is mere chump-change, but represents an investment with guaranteed
returns, and a ready "back door" for recalcitrant executives to scurry through when
it's finally realized that cancelling it in the first place was a real no-brainer.

The scripts, tracks, backgrounds and storyboards have already been done. The
Turner execs could even proclaim that they always intended to bring the series back,
and that the hiatus was strategic, not clueless. A comparitive few would be any the
wiser.

***Forwarded to Toonnet and select others***