Re: Drawings & Stuff

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 09:34:19 -0700

Kevin wrote: (and sorry, I haven't gotten through most of my mail yet!)

>> The drawings kats04.gif and katsmetl.gif seem to be used on the SWAT Kats=
>> video boxes. Why?
>
> I think so, I haven't memorized the names of too many. I believe they were
>made specifically for the videos, were they not?
>
>> I'm too also curious on who draw those pictures. chance, do you know who is=
>> the one that draw those drawing?
>
> The Tremblays did each, correct?

Tremblays did the front cover art for each of the three Home Videos, and also the
"scene" of the kat-guys doing something-or-other on the back. The drawings for
the front covers were done specifically for the videos and don't appear anywhere
else, and were done because the box-art submitted by Hanna-Barbera to the
Tremblays for approval, well..."wasn't". The individual pics of Jake and Chance
on the back of the vidboxes (and portions of the character descriptions) are taken
directly from the "Style Guide", and were drawn, I think, by Lance Falk.

> The Tremblays are good artists, but I presonally prefer something not quite
>as sketchy as the styles they displayed on the video and video game boxes.
>I find art with better, more 3-D renderings of technology appealing to my eye
>and angular patch inking instead of the heavily feathered kind. Sort of like
>what animators would draw the cels like if they had a dozen years and $100
>million to work with.

The earliest Tremblay kat-drawings had the guys and the TK a lot more "cartoony"
then what made it to the screen, and the more "radical" and "hard-edged" stuff
like the vid-box art seems to have evolved along with a similar direction in the series
itself. Christian&Yvon's early promotional poster of "The Giant Bacteria" looks
little like the artwork seen on the vid-boxes, but somehow manages to scream
"SwatKats" just the same.

My ideal version of the Kat-guys and their environment is probably a cross between
"Unlikely Alloys", "Mutation City", and "Night of the Dark Kat" (from memory, and
subject to revision).