"Jonny" politics, SwatKats, and Fondacom...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 09:17:47 -0700

On Some Day other than This Day, A.J. wrote:

> Hmm... Possibility? We could use the new JQ as a weapon against
>Ted to make him bring back SK. "You brought back Jonny, so why don't you
>bring back Kats?" I like 2 Stupid Dogs too. "Girl Scout Cookies!" I feel
>the same way. :)

I think it works out something like this. Turner's got something like 30 million bucks
invested in everything from the salaries of "Real Adventures of..." staffers right down
to Hadji underwear, and their focus right now is going to be to recover some of that
expenditure in terms of revenue from the show - and to the exclusion of everything
else, it would seem. They've "hedged their bet" by doing this "Dexter's Lab" series for
their own outlets, and some contract animation on things like "Dumber and Dumber",
but neither of those efforts cost much in comparison to "Jonny". If they were contemplating
new eps of Kats (not merely finishing the three they have), they couldn't do it in time
for fall in any event; there just isn't time to assemble the necessary crew, facilities, arrange
for "slots" in the now-busy schedules of Mook or Hanho. It would be a logistical
nightmare.

However, one way or the other, JQ *will* likely have a bearing on any future
revival of Kats as a series. If 'Jonny' fails, Tedco could either interpret it as a
failure of expensive TV animation in general, or could simply realize it was just the
wrong decision concerning the wrong program at the wrong time. If it succeeds,
Fondacom might realize "that thar's gold in them there hills", and start resuscitating
other properties - like their plans to revive "The Jetsons" in some fashion. Everyone
I've talked to that was associated with the production of "SwatKats" realizes that
the show is an instant classic, and it seems to have much support in the more sensible
areas of the Turner organization at present. For the moment, all eyes are on "Jonny"
and the Return-On-Investment expected come fall. I wouldn't look for much to happen
concerning a kats revival in the interim, though I personally can't fathom why - given
the amount of katmail that TCN gets - those last three episodes haven't been given
the green light to get animated. I mean, it doesn't really make financial sense *not*
to animate them, and they will have given themselves a "back door" to reviving the
Kats should "Jonny" not pan out as hoped.

But, then again, that's just the opinion of a fellow lowly fan.