Re: Kat stuff

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 18:55:13 -0700

Ben "I'm not a Mad Cow..honest!" Carter wrote:

> Hmmm.. I had an interesting argument about this the other day, with a friend
. Upon further arguing, we worked
> out why anime seems to be different (apart from the obvious) - It is not
> written to fit a certain rating. I assume that UK/US studios deliberately
> think "This needs a U", and then alter the script, animation, ect. to suit.

To quote a favourite Kat: "Bingo!". Yeah, this is exactly what happens - especially
in feature films. They remove certain scenes to avoid being placed in a dreaded
category, or change the concept work to reflect the rules of the category they
wish to be classified under before shooting a single frame. Most animated features
are designed to be "G" for "General" (assumedly a rough approximation of your "U")
and this is probably why we don't have an awful lot of anime available on our local
 video shelves ("It's hard to keep that stuff around because of all the outraged
 parents" - Blockbuster), 'cuz all the parents are so used to believing that everything
animated in a white clamshell case is "safe" for little Sarah and Jonny Goodgrades.

"SwatKats" (and to some extent "Gargoyles" and "BTAS") all hinted at the next level
of domestic animated series, but stopped short of achieving it. On the other end of
the spectrum, I think some of Ralph Bakshi's more "moderate" things like "Lord of
the Rings" etc. hit some N. American screens under a "PG" rating. That's equivalent
to lining up pallbearers.

> Er... Did anyone actually read this far?

Sure...I ignored all the spam on a.t.a. just so's I could get at your post here!