Re: Favorite Episodes

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:35:05 -0700

>>_at_@@hhh...not quite. It looks like MegaWarII is closer to our World War I.
>>Remember the biplanes in "Ghost Pilot"? Biplanes were only used as trainers
>>and torpedo bombers in WWII - they were long-dead as fighter aircraft.
>
>Unless of course you leave out the British Gloster Gladiator and
>Italian Fiat CR.42, which both saw service as fighters in the war
>(due to a lack of anything better). But Chance is right.

Eh...I thought the Spanish Civil War was the end of the Fiat in front-line
use, and I think the Brits pretty much wrote the Gladiator off in 1938 - just
in time for the Hawker Hurricane. But yeah, I did forget about those
entirely (and to make it worse, I have this kinda block that always
makes me mentally confuse the Gladiator with the Fairey Swordfish.
I'll get better). Stay tuned for more "Wings", on PBS...

>So perhaps MW1 was the equivalent of one of the wars from the
>1850-1880 period on Earth. That being the case, did/do the Kats have
>the equivalent of horses, like we do? They might very well have had
>the steamships and railroads needed for strategic mobility, but
>there is a need for horses for tactical transport, cavalry
>(kavalry?), and moving artillery around.

Now *there's* a good flashback for ancestors - though I think most 'States-bound
writers would opt for the 1862-ish American Civil War in terms of the public
familiarity angle. I think most folks would expect to find "Crimea" in a box of Crayolas.

>Which brings up an interesting point: given that the Siamese are on
>very obviously amicable terms with MegaKat City, and given that the
>Red Lynx seemed to be of the same "race" as the MegaKat-tians, who
>might the opponent have been? For that matter, could a Kat arriving
>on Earth today be able to tell who fought who in WW2?

Hmm. Good point. Unless you were standing on the Arizona memorial,
at the front gates to Auschwitz, the ruins of Coventry Cathedral, or looking
up at the A-Bomb Dome - you'd really have nothing to indicate that
either of these countries were ever combatants. Well, that, and any of
my British relatives.

>Kids these days! :)

Yeah. Everyone knows the Spongy Purple One on sight, but wonders who
would leave a perfectly good black marble wall standing outside in the D.C.
rain.

(I just thought of a cool scene. How about TB & R paying their respects
at a MegaWar I memorial as a way to launch one of the last fanfic scenarios??)