Re: The vortex scene on "The Pastmaster Always Ring Twice".

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:59:36 -0800

>Is it a standard animation or a computer animation?

>From what I understand, there was very little computer assisted anything
involved in the production of Kats. In fact, and I stand to be corrected,
I think the only computer-animation equipment resides with Turner Feature
Animation (USAnimation platform) at the moment. At the moment, computer
ink-and-paint is catching on ("Balto", "Tick", "Beavis and Butthead") along
with some relatively sorry-lookin' assisted inbetweening (um.."Tick", sorry
to say), but I think we're a bit far away from wholly created CGI Sat-AM
animated sequences that *don't* look like "Space Strikers" and "Spiderman".
(Those CG background bits *really* set my teeth on edge, and I hope that
Davis and the 'Jonny' gang have managed to dump all those Frenchified CG
backgrounds in favour of the beautiful stuff from 'Kats).

Um...in other words, "no"...I'm pretty certain it was someone with a pencil
and a great deal of imagination.