Re: 'KATS group - um...I was not aware...

From: Dave Huang <khym_at_bga.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 15:28:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Andy Hill wrote:
> Okay, someone in alt.config pointed out a valid concern that I
> wasn't perviously familiar with. Looks like a lot of systems may be
> hostile to carrying the newsgroup if it contains the "fan" aspect because
> of all the "joke" groups that contain the domain. At this point, I'm
> personally inclined to alter the title to "tv" based solely on the
> propogation issue, but I want to put it to the list first as a vote.
> Think fast guys, had one vote for a change so far, and it'd be a good
> idea to get it sorted before someone (other than myself) issues the
> control message.

Someone (Dana?) mentioned in an article that the consensus on the list
was to go with a .fan group, but I guess I didn't see those messages
(been reallyreally busy lately and have been skimming/deleting all
mailing list mail). 'Cuz if I had seen those messages, I would've
mentioned that I really think the group should go in the alt.tv.*
hierarchy... although I think most ISPs will carry any group (I know
we've got loads of joke alt groups here at bga.com), it's been my
experience that .edu sites have better things to use their disk space
for, and tend not to carry those groups (based on my small sample of 3
newsservers at different universities).

Anyways... I vote for changing the group name to alt.tv.swatkats
--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: khym_at_bga.com | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /