Re: Sex and nudity in cartoons and comics

From: <fayxx001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 95 21:19:31 -0500

>I walked into a comic store today and i looked at a adult comic book.
>The person working there asked what age i was and i said i was 16. He told
>me if i did that again i would be kicked out of the store.

>One Question: Even though i looked at the comic and never had an intenion
>in buying it should you can the person out of the shop for that?

The answer, I'm afraid, is yes. It's against the law for retailers to
allow minors to view any "adult" material, regarless of whether or not you
intend to buy it (which is also illegal). The store owner and employees
could lose their store, get fined, or even go to jail. Given the current
political climate, fostered by the likes of Jesse Helms and other right-
wingers, I can understand why the clerk would have come down on you so
hard. However, the retailer _should_ keep all their "adult" material
behind the counter. That way they wouldn't have to threaten to can
anyone.