Re: Behind The Scenes

From: James Firmiss <firmiss_at_cae.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:34:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996 KenP7672_at_aol.com wrote:

> Geoffrey has turned out to be quite popular with a number of readers, for
> which I'm gratified. So has the "Love Triangle" thread, which will see
> further development in upcoming issues. A bit of behind the scenes info here:
> The Love Triangle thread would've been the focal point of a second PRINCESS
> SALLY mini-series. Since that's not going to happen in the foreseeable
> future, it's just being spread out over several issues of SONIC.
>
> Ken

Ooo... inside info... very intersting :-)

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Doug LoConti replied:

> Ken, check this out, for it may be valid. I was wondering: When STH
> first started out, it was VERY kiddie-based. What I mean by that is
> there drawings were OK, the "puns" were nerdy, and the vocab was aimed
> towards our "younger generation". ...
> :
> ... It's good to
> see you guys are getting so much better, but why? ...

Yup.. The 'maturity' of the comic has jumped around a bit... especially
in the earlier issues (it seems to be geared for an older audience
nowadays). I've always attributed this to the Archie staff trying to
figure out exactly WHO their audience is. I've also attributed this
to taking a while for the writers to figure out what to do with the
characters. [ e.g. Ever notice how stiff everyone seemed in the earlier
episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation? The writers and actors
didn't have a good idea of who the cast was supposed to be until the
third season ]

> ... I guess what I'm
> asking is did people get laid off because they were doing a crappy job,
> and better artists/etc. haulled in? I haven't noticed TOO many changes.
> Maybe it's just me.

I've noticed quite a few changes... I was going to make a table which has
all the artists, editors, pencilers, etc. and which issues they did but
never got around to it. I'm pretty sure the top guy (Goldwater) has stayed
the same since Sonic Miniseries #0 but hasn't there been a few other
Editor changes?

> PS-don't take the previous as a bash. I guess I'm just a little kid with
> a bigger allowence & still buy all the STH stuff-yes, even princess sally
> mini-series, (and NO, I'm not gay!).

I've never said you're gay... I just said you have cooties cuz you bought
a girl comic... nyeh nyeh nyeh. [ just kidding... see my previous mail
posted here to figure out where THAT comment came from ]