Scripting the Hedgehog (was: Re: a new lurker...)

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 16:58:10 -0400 (EDT)

> I have to agree here, I never did care for Sonic's personality. He's the
> 'Star' or 'Hero' in name only. What does he have going for him? Just
> Speed and a lot of luck. Sally has all the leadership skills and the
> brains (for plot reasons the TV show would give Sonic brief flashes of
> insight, but they never really 'fit' Sonic)
>
> What the problem is, Sonic's is too limited by the 'personality' that
> SEGA created for the video game. Fast, blue, who 'stretched' his
> personality by tapping his shoe waiting for the player to get back from
> the bathroom!
>
> Now Sally and St. John are more interesting because they were created for
> 'plot' not game play. Even Tails is more interesting because he was more
> flexable (his traits from Sonic 2 being more 'amiable' and flexable, of
> course Tails could never become the 'classic' hero, at least without a lot
> of growing up, but he can fit into a number of sidekick roles)
>
> Cosmo

This is something I've had to face in developing my own fanfic (I've got
a couple-three more stories in development). Sonic's been tough to
write for, since it's hard to get past the argot and the attitude.
Tough, but not impossible. Hope the results speak for themselves one of
these days. In one story (possible hint of a spoiler here) he runs into
an old friend from pre-Robotnik days, and events test that friendship.
But I'll say no more.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rodent.
|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ || drazen_at_andrews.edu