Re: Notes from the net (fwd)

From: Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 <"Erich>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:08:55 -0500 (EST)

I already made a reply to the article in the newsgroup. I'm making a
similar reply here now.

On Wed, 15 Mar 1995, Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 wrote:

> The following is an article captured from the Sonic newsgroup so those of
> you without access to the group will still have a chance to read this
> article. The article proposes a new cyber-section for Archie's Sonic comics.
>
> Posted to the mailing list by request.
>
> [Begin included text]
>
> From: benny7dude_at_aol.com (Benny7dude)
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog
> Subject: Notes from the net in Sonic Comic?
> Date: 14 Mar 1995 15:24:27 -0500
>
> Paul Castiglia from Archie Comics, here. After seeing all the comments
> abiout our Sonic comic, it got me thinking: what if we started a special
> sub-section on our "Sonic Grams" letter page designated, "Notes From The
> Net." We would print your comments and your e-mail address on the Sonic
> letters page, so if others wanted to converse with you via e-mail, they
> could-- and to encourage people to join this newsgroup. Let me know what
> you think of this idea. If enough people respond favorably, we'll
> institute it. From then on, if you send a comment about our comics,
> please preface it with the heading, *********NOT FOR NOTES FROM THE
> NET**********if you don't want it published; and *********FOR NOTES FROM
> THE NET******** if you do....
>
> [end of included text]

One proposal I made is that Archie Comics start an AOL section comparable
to the one "Disney Adventures" already has, and that they might want to
have Archie's entire comics line (not just Sonic) represented. I also
noted that I would not be participating as I am not an AOL subscriber.
There was favorable response to this idea.

For those without AOL access, perhaps Ratman would be willing to accept
some Sonic-related files at his ftp site. I can make shorter text files
of general interest available through the mailing list software.

I also said that the "Notes From the Net" sounds like a good idea and is
worth a try, as long as they're prepared to get questions like "how do I
send e-mail to John Doe?" and "how do I access the newsgroup?".

I then went on to say that posted messages/articles ought be considered
"not for publication" by default unless permission to publish is
specifically granted. (Someone might intend to grant permission but
forget to do so, so permissions can always be requested as well when
someone has something especially interesting to say.) This section could
also have an editor's comment (like the present Sonic-Grams do) that can
also include "we see on the 'net that someone/several believe(s) _______"
which could come in handy if someone doesn't want their full message
and/or e-mail address printed but ______ is especially interesting.

-- Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) + Team OS/2 -------------------------------
| A net.freedom-fighter for Mobius! |
| "Freedom Fighters are #1 !" -- Sonic the Hedgehog |
---acme_at_use.usit.net + eschulman_at_delphi.com---------------------------