Re: Forthcoming Sonic story survey

From: Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 <"Erich>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 18:01:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Fred Sloniker wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 wrote:

> This sounds like a pretty neat idea, but one more suited to a list-wide
> collaboration than just you and some other guy. As it stands, I fear we
> might wind up with something that resembles one of those books you can
> get for your kids with their name, address, friend's name, shoe size, et
> cetera laser-printed onto the pages...
>
> > 2. The story will contain simulated mailing list messages.
>
> Okay, color me confused now. Mobius doesn't have a mailing list. If you
> mean to say that parts of the story will be communications between the
> various Freedom Fighters who are our standins in the land of speedy
> hedgehogs, you don't need our real email addresses, or even simulacra, in
> it for that. What kind of story are you planning on writing, anyway?
> Some real-world crossover with Mobius?

I don't want to give very much away, but I will say this much. Everyone
on the list will go to Mobius and help the Freedom Fighters there. There
will be some simulated list discussion about the trip in the story. I
don't want to use someone's name without some sort of permission. Not
everyone will have their name used either. Those who do reply may see
something like Rotor asking you for help with something, or Sonic grabs
you and takes off. Those who don't reply or don't want their names used
will be parts of anonymous groups.

I could just as easily get a list of subscribers and go down the list,
numbering them 1, 2, 3, etc. But I think names would be more interesting.

> > 3. Do you require conscientious objector status? __ Yes __ No
>
> I have *no* idea what this question means. My *guess* would be that one
> is in the story under protest (that's the military application of the
> phrase), but you've already said you won't use anyone who doesn't want to
> be used...

A conscientious objector refuses to participate in combat for religious
reasons. The US military respected this during the Vietnam War, and I am
doing likewise for the story.

> > 5. Please state 2 skills you can contribute to the war effort.
>
> How about our character descriptions? I mean, we've already seen there's
> a paucity of humans in Mobius; shouldn't you be asking what species we
> want to be, how we dress, how our character behaves in given situations,
> that sort of thing?

We are going as ourselves, and with the intention of returning to Earth.

The story is in very early stages of development. More information will
be requested as it becomes needed. But we've got to start somewhere.

> And what if someone on the list wants to play a bad guy? (:3

Surely you're not pro-Robotnik. Or are you? With Robotnik and Snively
around, Mobius doesn't need any more villains.

-- Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) + Team OS/2 -------------------------------
| A net.freedom-fighter for Mobius! |
| "Freedom Fighters are #1 !" -- Sonic the Hedgehog |
---acme_at_use.usit.net + eschulman_at_delphi.com---------------------------