Re: Name games

From: Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 <"Erich>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 01:38:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Feb 1995, Jeffrey Pegnato wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how the characters and places that are used
> in the show were named...
>
> For starters -
>
> Sally is the pet name for Sarah, which means (guess) - "princess"
>
> Sonic is obvious enough - as in the speed of sound
>
> Bunnie, Rotor, Snively, Robotnik and Tails are also obvious from their
> respective traits. (However "Miles" needs research)

What about Antoine? OK, the French part is obvious. But Antoine is a
form of Anthony, and my name dictionary says of Anthony: "inestimable,
priceless one". Considering how he fell asleep and let a power ring get
appropriated -- among many other things -- he's not exactly the most
valuable of the Freedom Fighters. Not that I'd want him roboticized, but
doesn't he ever do anything useful?

As for Uncle Chuck, the name comes from Charles which my name dictionary
defines as "strong, manly". Though he may be getting older, no ordinary
hedgehog would choose to fight Robotnik the way he does.

"Nicole" is a good name to have on our side. It's defined as "victorious
army, victorious people".

I've got to really be curious about Rosie. That's defined as "queen of
flowers". And Dulcie (Dulcy) is "Sweet one".

Erich Schulman (KTN4CA)
Team OS/2