Re: Kats' Religion and swear words.

From: DJ Clawson <djclawson_at_garden.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:37:39 -0400

>>At 05:24 AM 6/7/96 +0700, Edo Andromedo wrote:
>>>Heck, for all what we know, the kats could be atheists.
>
>On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, DJ Clawson wrote:
>> Well, true, but we do have Hard Drive's mention of "The Christmas Tree"
>>which obviously is decorated with lights on it, because the line was
>>something like, "I'm gonna light you up like a Christmas Tree!"
>
>Well, it's a figure of speech you know.

  Look, it's a figure of speech, but it had to come from *somewhere*.

>>Now about
>>the speech someone (probably Dr. Conway) gave about the history of the
>>evergreen, still, he said "Christmas"--meaning "birth of Christ".
>
>"Christmas" does mean a lot of thing. "A Christmas tree" could mean a mega
>lot of thing.

   No. Christmas = Brith of Christ. Haven't we been through this?

>>If the
>>show designers wanted their own new kat religion, they screwed up on this
>>line. Christmas trees symbolizing the birth of Christ is Christianity no
>>matter how you slice it.
>
>It also symbolize a tree with a lot of lights on it.

   *Christmas Tree*. Gimme a break.

>>There would also be no Christianity without
>>Judiasm, because one sprung from the other. As for Islam, well, I did go a
>>bit to far to assume anything there.
>
>Why far?

   Well, we think we know about the exitence of Christainity. Since
Christianity sprung from Judiasm, we know Judiasm exists too (or did once).
Islam came from the two of them (kind off) but there's no reason why it had
too. There's no hard evidence.

 <stuff snipped>

>> The line (I've seen the episode a hundred times--trust me) is, "Oh, my
>>goodness! One of the exhibits has fallen!"
>
>Fallen? They were walking.

  Abi was referring to the fallen dionsaur skeleton the museum guard crashed
into. The saberkat then popped up for the first time, and Callie's line was,
"One of the exhibits is alive!"

>>That's fine and dandy, but I
>>*despise* the phrase, "Oh my goodness!" in place as a goody-good version of
>>"Oh my G-d!"
>
>Why do they replace the word "God" with "Goodness"?

   Some people don't like to use the name "G-d" that often. They had to
replace it with something softer.

>>In "Children of the Stone" and "Vilthuril" there *are*
>>characters who say "Oh my G-d!"--Abi being one of them. It *is*
>>fanfiction--I can do whatever I want, within the limits of good taste of
>>course.
>
>Question, question. <raising hand> Why do you put "-" in the middle of "God"?

    Judiasm believes even the name of G-d is holy. G-d's real name isn't
even supposed to be *said*, except by the High Priests in the Temple Days in
the Holy of Holies Ark on Yom Kippur. Since we can't say His name, there are
tons of nicknames in the bible--one of them being "G-d". Others are Y-hweh
(with an a)
H-shem (an a), Ad-noi (an o), Jehov-h (an a) and others (I think there's
12). Even though these aren't the *real* name of G-d, they're close enough
and too holy to write, so we cross out a letter. Books containing the name
of G-d like bibles are prayer books are buried. Of course, sometimes I'll
see a book with the word G-d with an o, and it's no big deal--nothing I
could do about it, but I try to avoid the name when I can. (I *do* know the
real name of G-d; we learned it in Hebrew High. They don't tell you in
normal Hebrew School 'cause they know kids'll abuse it and it'll just get
mixed in with society and become unholy. It's very similar to "Jehov-h.")

Dr. Jake Clawson
(djclawson_at_garden.net)
(XXRJ13C_at_prodigy.com)
         "Accidents are conspiricies we don't know about."
                                   -Sensei McGee