Re: Education and Religion

From: Michael J. Rider <jaguar_at_warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:11:20 -0400

In a message dated 5:01 PM 6/7/96, Brother Buford wrote:

>I just saw "Chaos in Crystal" again, and Chance said something to the effect
>of "I'm gonna load a sonic boom on that New Age nightmare" referring to
>Shard's crystalline makeup. Isn't New Age stuff a form of religion? And if
>there's New Age, aren't there some other forms of religion? I mean, if it's
>"new" isn't there an "old"?

Personally I see 'New Age' as a marketing gimmick. Crystals are the most
common piece of new age crud and that's really funny, referring to Shard
(odd coincidence about the name, eh?) as a piece of crystal junque.
Insofar as new and old religions; all big organized religions evolved out
of older more basic religions that became static and dogmatic. If there
are organized kat religions there must have been pagan kats who went
before. Remember that the Christmas tree was originally part of a pagan
Yule (winter solstice) festival. The 'New Age' stuff is just taking
advantage of people's need for neopagan and alternative religion.

What I think is so interesting about the kats world is the attitude of
scientists (like Dr. Sinian) to magic. I guess there was never a Cartesian
division (between science and magic/religion) in the kats world. There
never should have been one in ours either.

(My karma ran over my dogma, but left my katma just fine. ;)

  / Michael J. Rider / It's like I've always said: you can get /
 / jaguar_at_warwick.net / more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you /
/ aka: Ixbalam / can with a kind word. -Marcus Cole /