Re: Video Nitpicks!

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:05:20 -0500

At 03:49 PM 5/13/96 EDT, you wrote:

>>reason I keep hearing Krusty the Clown read these things in my head and scream
>>"Hey Kids!" with the occasional laughter.
>
>Well, I hate to remind you, but we're not the primary audience for
>these videos (we being intelligent, thoughful fans). To Turner's
>distribution operation these are just more fodder for the seemingly
>insatiable kidvid market.

        Oh, I'm well aware of the mentality of the suits, but in every
instance I've seen where an animated series is not dumbed down, the result
has been excellent and the same goes for the write ups on a package. I
think it's a more profitable option for them to not dumb down the write ups
since the younger buyers are a given, but the older buyers might be driven
away by such.

>But don't feel bad. Buena Vista Home Video has been doing just as
>loust a job on the packaging of Gargoyles and other series under
>their purview. Makes one wonder if the designers actually see the
>product they're designing the package for ("45 whole minutes?? But
>that means I only have an hour and 15 minutes left for lunch!!!" :)

        And I'm also I'm well aware of how stupidly done some of the
Gargoyles box art, specifically Gargoyles: The Movie was (see the scans I
made at rat.org) and I've got the three or four page letter to Buena Vista
home video to prove it. Of all the artwork they could have used, they made
up some stuff that makes the gargs all Disneyfied. I can't say the write up
in that particular inastance was all *that* bad. SWAT Kats was fortunately
given good artwork, but wouldn't you know it, the write ups sucked.

>> Thankfully the videos are recorded in the highest quality possible. The

>>of crackle even at high volume. It's good to know that Turner is at least
>>making certain his video releases are technically good.
>
>I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but you should see the "Swan
>Princess" LD before you say that. Horrible, absolutely horrible.
>It's not as good a film as it could have been, but it doesn't
>deserve such an execrable LD release. At least MCA got "Balto" right
>on LD. Curse you, TedCo!

>Ed

        Well, the *video* seems fine, and I guess we should be glad the
videos from Tunrner aren't like f.h.e.'s - almost always EP. Too bad about
the Swan Princess LD, i hope it's an exception (and why aren't the Kats on
LD too?)

        Kevin L. Knoles