Re: Video Nitpicks!

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 15:49:19 EDT

> The write ups of the series and the individual epsiodes on the back of the
>videos, while better than nothing, are not anywhere as near good as they could
>be. I would have preferred a less juvenille, more accurate description
>(*Rocket*-blasting action?) of the episodes cointained within. For some
>reason I keep hearing Krusty the Clown read these things in my head and scream
>"Hey Kids!" with the occasional laughter.

Well, I hate to remind you, but we're not the primary audience for
these videos (we being intelligent, thoughful fans). To Turner's
distribution operation these are just more fodder for the seemingly
insatiable kidvid market.

But don't feel bad. Buena Vista Home Video has been doing just as
loust a job on the packaging of Gargoyles and other series under
their purview. Makes one wonder if the designers actually see the
product they're designing the package for ("45 whole minutes?? But
that means I only have an hour and 15 minutes left for lunch!!!" :)

> Thankfully the videos are recorded in the highest quality possible. The
>speed is of course SP, and the image is about good as video tape will allow,
>as is the sound quality, crisp stereo which doesn't contain the slightest hint
>of crackle even at high volume. It's good to know that Turner is at least
>making certain his video releases are technically good.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but you should see the "Swan
Princess" LD before you say that. Horrible, absolutely horrible.
It's not as good a film as it could have been, but it doesn't
deserve such an execrable LD release. At least MCA got "Balto" right
on LD. Curse you, TedCo!

Ed