Re: Terra's Poll and fanfic POV

From: DJ Clawson <djclawson_at_garden.net>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 16:08:36 -0400

At 08:26 AM 5/8/96 -0700, you wrote:

>A half-digested Edo wrote: (get it? kats-digest...oh, never mind...)
>
>>Well, here's an idea of mine, make a story from the POV of your very own
fanfic character, you can make that character as a character that connect
the junkyard, Enforcer HQ, museum, City Hall, etc.

>...and it's a *fine* idea! I generally find things written from
first-person perspective to
>be a bit, er...distracting, but in this case it could work out well. How
about a story written
>in the form of journal entries or something - perhaps from the POV of a
"Private Detective"
>or Enforcer hired by a suspicious member of the Government to keep an eye
on Jake and
>Chance (i.e. to see if they could actually be the SwatKats)? Cool.

    AWESOME! SOMEBODY WRITE IT!! (Hey chance you've got talent, why not try it?)
I am not lazy or anything, but I happened to be REALLY tied up in
"Children"'s sequel, which is about 6 Kb away from topping the first in
length. I thought up tones of plots, but there are other works in my life
I'm actually trying to get published. As for the Jake and Chance as kids
story I wrote for English class, I rewrote it this weekend, and sadly, I
cannot send it to the list. First of all, it has next to nothing to do with
the show aside from the fact it IS backstory (no mention of enforcers or
anything). Secondly, it's an extremely Jewish story (I got inspired by
Philip Roth's works) and I'm actually thinking of submitting it to a
magazine or something (it's about 10 pages). If I do, Chance will not be
given a last name and Jake Clawson should become Jake Dawson, so it'll
literally move away from the classification of "fanfiction."

>>Arrgghh!! If I ever catches the one that write a love story of either
Callie and Jake or Chance and Felina, I will... I will... Nevermind, it's
too violent for me to say it. Although that the idea of putting a green
ribbon or a purple ribbon to the one that write it does come up.

>>But seriously, the only common thing between Callie and Jake is that a LOT
people like them.

>>Although that if you want to ask who is the most perfect candidate to be
in a love story, is say that it is Callie. IMSHO of course.

   Why am I the only one who doesn't seem to agree with the Jake/Cally pair
up?!?
   What it looks like from what I've seen fans say, there seems to be some
sort of misconception that the females have to be divided evenly with the
males. If there was the question, "Well, who'll go with Cally?" many fans
who've felt the need to find one of the guys just because the show stressed
their infatuation with her have turned to Jake. Personally, I can't see her
with EITHER of them, and screw their lousy crushes. Jake is a scientist and
and engineer, a pilot at heart. Cally is a politician. They have next to
NOTHING in common. As for Chance, I can't see him settling down with anyone
without his wild charisma. That's why I paired him with Felina in my
stories--they're both gargoyles anyway, what's the difference?
   As for Jake, well . . . we all know that answer, if you read my fanfic.
   Romance can be worked in slowly and carefully, but some people should
watch what they put in.

                                    Dr. Jake