Feline Aviation Administration

From: Paul Kemner <pkemner_at_bright.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 07:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

>Kevin L. Knoles wrote: Kat Nation FAA?
> BTW, is there a "FAA" or something like that in the Kat world?
There may not be a Kat FAA (Feline Aviation Administration?), at least as
far as air traffic control goes. Maybe kats have a different attitude
towards risk (my cats definitely do!), and the rules are: watch your own
surroundings and instruments, and don't hit anything or anybody! Oh, the
airport may have a tower to handle takeoff/landing conflicts, but maybe they
rely on their superior reflexes more.

My reason for thinking this? MKCity would certainly be a controlled
airspace, if there is such a thing in the kat universe. The turbokat zipping
around using radar jammers would attract unwelcome attention from the FAA,
and they would start to deploy considerable resources to bring it down.
(unless you want to write a story about this?)

> I specify Kat Nation because the Kat's FAA would probably only be for one
>country, whichever one MegaKat City resides in.

I still vote for MKCity being a city/state, instead of being located in a
country. If there was a 'fed' government, we would probably have seen some
references to it. Manx seems to be able to tax the kats at a fairly high
level for his development projects, and they're not all shooting back yet.
That makes me think that there are no extra levels of taxation, from a
nation or state. And you don't see any references to a prez or other
national leader. Everyone's plots to take over the world in katdom seem to
be aimed at MKCity and Manx. (For comparison, a fairly high number of The
Brain's plots are aimed at Washington & the prez, even though the labs
probably aren't in Washington.)
Paul Kemner
pkemner_at_bright.net
if kats didn't accept a high level of risk, MKCity would be empty!