Re: Feline Aviation Administration

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:53:04 -0500 (CDT)

> There may not be a Kat FAA (Feline Aviation Administration?), at least as
> far as air traffic control goes. Maybe kats have a different attitude

    They'd *have* to have something. You can't have an organized aviation
industry without one. Yeah, I guess I'm kinda aswering my own question here.

> My reason for thinking this? MKCity would certainly be a controlled
> airspace, if there is such a thing in the kat universe. The turbokat zipping
> around using radar jammers would attract unwelcome attention from the FAA,
> and they would start to deploy considerable resources to bring it down.
> (unless you want to write a story about this?)

    Don't the Enforcers already do that? Or perhaps efforts to stop them have
led to disasters, so they no longer really bother? (And that *would* make a
good story.)

> > I specify Kat Nation because the Kat's FAA would probably only be for one
> >country, whichever one MegaKat City resides in.
>
> I still vote for MKCity being a city/state, instead of being located in a
> country. If there was a 'fed' government, we would probably have seen some
> references to it. Manx seems to be able to tax the kats at a fairly high

    Well, I haven't seen anything indicating that just because a city-state
exists it can't be part of a country. The USA is organized into states, just
imagine a small one with a *huge* population and you've got something like
MK City.

> level for his development projects, and they're not all shooting back yet.
> That makes me think that there are no extra levels of taxation, from a
> nation or state. And you don't see any references to a prez or other

    The notion of MegaKat City being a city-state is one I like but it brings
up tons of little questions like this. I'd say even though it's part of a
country, its fairly separate in matters of taxation and military concerns.

> national leader. Everyone's plots to take over the world in katdom seem to
> be aimed at MKCity and Manx. (For comparison, a fairly high number of The
> Brain's plots are aimed at Washington & the prez, even though the labs
> probably aren't in Washington.)

    I'm not so certain that there's been enough episodes to address irrelelvant
things like that. I could just be that MK City is so big and so important and
that the federal government is such a small body in the Kat nation that
capturing, destroying, taking over the capital would mean little for the
relatively seperate city-states. Sure, I say MK City is a city-state, but
the country it resides must be organized in a radically different manner than
our own.
   And wouldn't the existence of an airport with what looks like SST's somehow
suggest a country? Boy, this keeps on bringing up more and more questions.

> Paul Kemner

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/