Re: Nitpicker's Guide to SWAT Kats

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 07:07:40 -0800

Edo wrote:

>I do have a question about "Unlikely Alloys", how do Zed got corupted by
>the Metallikats criminal personalities? I know that Zed fix the
>Metallikats, but do Zed really plug in to the Metallikats memory banks? Oh
>yeah, when Greenbox merge with Zed, why is that they doesn't speak at the
>same time? and why does Zed need to search for more information? isn't the
>information from Mac already sufficient?

"Unlikely Alloys" was Lance Falk's Sci-Fi homage tour-de-force, incorporating
references from "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "Fantastic Voyage" and visual
bits 'n' pieces from Japanime theatrical releases. Dr. Greenbox becoming part of
his creation is a parallel to the STNG episode where Barkelely (sp?) creates
the supercomputer in the Holodeck in an attempt to create a more powerful
interface with which to carry out the Argus repairs. Just as "Broccoli" was
transformed and absorbed by *his* creation, so Leiter Greenbox was
annexed by his.

Zed was altered by other computer/machines he'd come into contact with
in much the same way as your computer has the ability to absorb unwanted
information in the form of viruses from other storage media - most times
unbeknownst to the operator - and thereby altering the behaviour of the
machine. Falk likely intended this aspect of "Zed" to reference the Classic
Trek episode with the schizophrenic Martian/Earth probe bent on destroying
all that did not meet with its criteria for perfection.

(Did you know that Lance Falk submitted two scripts to the producers of
STNG, only to have them rejected as "too much like the old 'Trek"?)