Re: Ted's big problem...

From: Chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 07:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Paul Hurley wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Ian Lynn wrote:
>
> > as possible?? I seem to remember it being said that if the envelope has
> > the words SwatKats on it, it gets put in the round file. Has anyone
>
> I have not heard of this. Is this true?
> If that's true, then they are blind. Or maybe it's too painful for them
> to have to think about what a big mistake they made.

     Okay, originally (according to Victoria McCollum, SwatKats Unit
Production person) 11 copies of every fan letter got generated. One went
to "fan-mail", one to Christian/Yvon Tremblay, one to Davis Doi (the
producer) and the rest went to various H-B and Turner Programming
Services divisions including Marketing. Every letter sent to
Hanna-Barbera according to the instructions tacked onto the end of Kats
episodes aired on TBS was responded to with a form letter and a Kats
sticker, in a "SwatKats Headquarters" envelope, until about mid-94 when
they stopped for whatever reason. Fan-mail sent there since has been
accumulating in boxes, and they couldn't keep up. Realizing there was a
problem, the whole fan-mail operation was handed to Mark Hughes and
Micheal Diaz of Hanna-Barbera's "Classic Cartoons" division, who told me
that "there's no room in the budget for someone to do it full time, but
if people can be bothered to write to us, you can be sure we'll try to
reply". The current setup involves the letters being entered into the
Hanna-Barbera database, with a few copies generated to concerned parties
(like the Tremblays). When I last spoke to them, they had about 5,000
letters entered into the system concerning various Hanna-Barbera
properties, and had "boxes and boxes" of unopened mail. Through the
grapevine, I hear that only now some of these letters are surfacing on
H-B desks from January.

     Letters addressed to Hanna-Barbera as noted on the "Tell us what you
think" bit go _directly_ to the fan-mail boxes at "Classic". Someone I
talked to over there told me that a number of people are upset about
Kats, and to write Seibert _directly_. I mentioned that someone else in
the building told me that "he's ditching his mail in the fan-mail
basket", to which came the reply "of course he is...". The thing is, if
he ignores the mail because he suspects what the contents are, then it's
not really a loss, huh? The comments still (eventually) get entered into
the H-B computer, and you may even get a reply from Davis Doi like
someone recently did.

     The "CNN Center" address is the headquarters of Turner Programming
Systems, Turner Entertainment, WCW Wrestling, and CNN itself. It's a
general mail-drop, and I can't vouch for it's effectiveness in reaching
Ted himself. What I've had happen on previous occasions is the mail will
get to a secretary, and get bumped up to the next level if it contains
anything of interest, then either read to, paraphrased to, or read by the
intended recipient.

     The thing that's puzzling me at the moment is the fact our phone
calls aren't being returned.

 "Of course it has boogers in it. It's got kid-type humour" - John K. in TVG
                                   --
 "Naaaah...just make them cat aliens." - Executive 'creative input' at H-B