Re: New Kat Kommercial on TCN

From: Chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:18:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Ian Lynn wrote:

> Anybody else caught these?? Anybody else watch the Cartoon network??

TCN's CONUS penetration is close to nil in comparison with the broadcast
networks and some of the other specialty cable things - Canadians don't
get it at all unless we smuggle DSS from south of the border in
contravention of what our Government tells us we can watch. I don't know
anyone contemplating that, do you? (Bingo.)

> Just thought it was interesting that after all the bad stuff going
> on at the company, someone had the nerve to put together a couple of
> commerecials for a defunct show (of course a good percentage of whats
> on TCN is defunct, but...)

     I think its safe to assume that there's some cartoon fans working
for the Cartoon Network, and just like making the toon in the first
place, it shows when those in charge of making the spots actually like
the subject material (Ted and "Captain Planet" for instance).

     As far as "all the bad stuff" goes, does anyone remember "Rime of
the Ancient Mariner" by Coleridge from school? Basically, this guy kills
an Albatros, considered a "good luck bird", above the protestations of his
crew-mates that evil would befall the ship on its journey. Well, the
bird-killer is forced to wear the albatros-carcass around his neck so
everyone would know who was responsible for all the ills that befell the
ship afterwards, ultimately resulting in it's sinking amid great loss of
life. Well, "SwatKats" is Turner's albatros, and I think the rest of the
parallel becomes fairly obvious when you take into account all the
"bad stuff" that we've been privy to lately.

     BTW, 'Kats moves on TCN to a new timeslot starting August sixth and
running to Sept 1st. It'll be on at 6pm EST M-F, and I'm not sure about
the CMT and PST timezones.

 "Of course it has boogers in it. It's got kid-type humour" - John K. in TVG
                                   --
 "Naaaah...just make them cat aliens." - Executive 'creative input' at H-B