Re: (fwd) 'KATS more advanced than we...

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 21:44:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Dana Uehara wrote:

> Well, if Megakat City is more technologically advanced than our own, then
> who's to say they couldn't have developed stuff that quickly? Perhaps
> the Industrial Revolution (or its Kat-equivalent) hit Megakat City a lot
> sooner (or had more of a delayed action there) than it did the U.S.
>
> I know, I'm grasping at straws here, but... ;-)
>
> In other news, while rewatching the episode "The Giant Bacteria," I
> noticed a sign that's clearly marked "Megacat City Salvage Yard" (yes,
> it's spelled as I've typed it). Grr -- the city's name is spelled with
> a 'k', not a 'c'!
>
> Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I think my fur's rubbed the right
> way, finally.

    Yeah, that's the first episode I eaver saw, and it grated ever since
(shows up a _lot_ in the first season eps - guess they figured a bunch of
ten year olds would let it slide -- something like the cancellation ;>

> > The best thing I liked about the Blue Manx was the symbol on his
> > plane - crossed golf clubs with golf balls above and below. At least
> > something is in the genes of the Manxes; courage certainly isn't :)

     I didn't notice this the first time round, I had to look at the tape
again once Ed pointed it out. There goes my "observer" qualification...

> > But if getting shot down by the descendant of his nemesis won't kill
> > the Red Lynx, what will?
>
> Hmm. Maybe someone could consult a spiritual medium who'd conjure
> up the ghost of the Blue Manx and find out firsthand?

     If you think about it, given the number of villains introduced, and
trying to avoid both the "Batman" style villain-recurrence and the "mad
scientist of the week", going to 65 eps would've been quite the
challenge. "Ghost Pilot" would _certainly_ have put in another
appearance, otherwise the explosion after Manx hit him with the missile
would've been played up considerably more for climax purposes. Recurring
villains like Dark Kat just kind of disappeared into the distance all the
time, as did the PastMaster (which will probably be "Tape 4", if they do
any more).

     I thought the Germanic voice of the Red Lynx was a nifty link to
20th century RL history, and is yet another pointer that the 'Kat world
seems to have similar geographic divisions and polarities as ours. I
doubt they were originally intended to be _that_ much different.
(another SKIQ bit for the bros. Tremblay).

     "...$%#!!_at_!!, does EVERYTHING have to occur at the speed of MTV?!"
  - George Lucas on the cancellation of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles",
    after hearing that viewers expected constant action, rather than a
                        "gentle history lesson"