Re: Mobius cultures, seemingly alternate to Earth

From: Matt Penna <mpenna_at_vivanet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 22:58:33 -0400

>Now about evolution... as most of you know, on Earth, creatures' ability to
>thrive in certain climates and locations led to their evolution. It could be
>that Mobius' continental drifting was somewhat different, thus causing the
>evolutionary cycle to take a different path than Earth's own...?

Well, I've always found it interesting that so many different species could
evolve at the same time, yet co-exist peacefully on Mobius. Normally, if
more than one species occupies the same place in an ecosystem, one of them
will overcome all others. If I remember my anthropology from freshman year,
this is known as the Law of Competitive Exclusion. Based on what we know
about primitive human cultures (Well...they weren't really human yet) this
has happened several times with evolved species. One species was just
totally wiped out by another.

Of course, it's also possible that all of the species on Mobius evolved at
different times. This is most likely what will happen on Earth in the
future. Right now, humans are the only animals that can be called sentient.
However, there is one group of living things that has showed some evidence
of sentience other than us, and those are bees. But I'm straying from the
topic.

Maybe there were separate cultures at one time on Mobius, but they must have
been completely isolated from one another in order for each one to remain in
existence without their inhabitants being conquered/destroyed/forced to
migrate by another, more powerful, empire. (Unless they were all extremely
benevolent cultures...kind of unlikely, don't you think?) We could use a few
Mobian history books on this one. :)

Might be interesting to learn if there were some Mobian equivalent of the
Holy Roman Empire, or ancient Greece. Hedgehog emperors and
philosophers...scary. ;)

-Matt Penna
E-mail: mpenna_at_vivanet.com
Home Page Under Construction
* StH JJ1 Wks+++ AdS-->+ Son+++i Sal+++^ Tal+++it Bun+++ Rot++ Ant~ *
* UnC++ Bks++ Rbk--/++ Pck--/+++ Snv~ Knu++ P+ Da $++++ Ay79 GM *