Re: Mobius... alternate Earth? Good ques

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

> What I meant by this
> seemingly meaningless sentence is that the Floating
> Island seems to represent anchient Egypt. Bunnie and
> Antoine would be great examples of the alternate
> socieities... but where are they from? And where on
> Earth would that be considered the alternate of?
>
> Gee... looks like I came up with a subject.
>
> SUPER STH_at_aol.com

Not having seen Knuckles #1 (and I won't get the chance for another
week), I can't very well judge the Egyptian motif. However, there do
seem to be distinct "cultures" on Mobius, reinforced by the existence of
variant dialects of the language. Again, the handicap is that nobody
seems to have plotted out a comprehensive social geography of Mobius,
let alone a physical one.

'Twas ever thus. Going back to the greatest furry book ever written,
Richard Adams' "Watership Down," you have several distinct cultures even
within the same species: the warrens of Hazel and Fiver, of Strawberry,
and of General Woundwort, are each different in their own way. My own
gut reaction as an author: the various writers/artists who have has
their hands in creating Mobius have cast around for Earth models and
thrown them together. The burden of the fan is to see these random
models as part of a cohesive whole when said whole never got around to
being created. Hey, nobody said this was going to be easy!